Employer: Ganaraska Animal Clinic
Position: Head Veterinary Technician
Terms of Employment: Permanent / Full-Time
Location: Port Hope, Ontario
Employment Address: 146 Rose Glen Rd S, Port Hope, ON L1A 3V6
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Benefits: This position is eligible for discretionary bonuses and increases in salary. The VetStrategy benefit plan at Ganaraska includes Long Term Disability coverage, however, employees must have provincial coverage in order to be eligible to enroll into the benefit plan. The carrier will not allow anyone on the plan without it. Moreover, there is a 3-month waiting period for benefits after the date of hire:
• Paid vacation/sick leave, Continuing Education (CE) allowance, annual licenses paid;
• Dental Benefits, Disability Insurance, Extended Medical insurance;
• Employee Assistance Program;
• Vision Care;
• Generous pet policy;
• Salary: $24.60 / hour.
Contact: please send resumes to email@example.com and include “Ganaraska Animal Clinic” in email subject line.
• Assisting veterinary surgeons with procedures that include radiography, endoscopy, standing surgical procedures and anything that requires a second pair of hands.
• Ensuring theatres are deep cleaned regularly and asepsis is always maintained.
• Liaising with clients and ensuring they receive regular updates about their animals and ensuring they receive optimum customer service by going the extra mile.
• Cleaning, servicing, and maintenance of veterinary equipment.
• Maintaining pharmacy inventory and ordering.
• Ensuring all instrumentation is kept in working order and implants are ordered.
• Preparing animals for surgery and monitoring anaesthesia during surgery.
• Admitting and discharging patients.
• Organizing the day ahead by prioritizing emergency cases and / or clean / contaminated surgery.
• Restraining and calming the patients for veterinary examination.
• Caring for in-patients including small and exotic animals.
• Always maintaining client confidentiality and professionalism.
• Collecting samples and carrying out tests and medical treatment under veterinary supervision.
• Laboratory work including FEC, blood samples, preparation, and interpretation of slides and bacterial cultures, processing, assessing, and freezing equine semen during the reproductive season.
• Covering reception, including booking appointments, typing reports, and prioritizing workload.
• 3-5 years of experience as a veterinary technician or equivalent role is required.
• Completion of a two- or three-year animal health/veterinary technology college program is required.
• Passion for what you do every day! Enthusiasm, energy, and a positive attitude are a must
• A strong desire to educate and build solid relationships with clients
• Solid communication skills, both when dealing with clients and interpersonal relationships
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• It is a continuing requirement of your position that you can stand for extended periods of time, work with an array of animals, and can lift up to 50 pounds (23 kg). These physical requirements are considered bona fide occupational requirements for your position. Should you be unable to meet these bona fide occupational requirements at any time, your employment may be terminated in accordance with the termination provisions of this position.