The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) is Canada's foremost veterinary association.
Our mission is to contribute to the betterment of animal health and welfare and the protection of human health by advancing and promoting excellence in the veterinary profession in Ontario.
Thousands of veterinarians depend on us as their collective voice in the province. They also rely on us as their source for news, world-class continuing education, extensive practice management resources, and work-life balance and career advice. These services have been fundamental in helping practice owners, associates and students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Public Relations, the Communications and Digital Content Specialist assists with the implementation of communications and public relations activities to support veterinarians, inform the public about the veterinary profession, and promote the value of veterinary care. The role also provides support to the association’s charitable arm, the Farley Foundation.
This is a 13 month contract position. The position will begin by working remotely and will transition to the OVMA office in Milton as public health conditions permit.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
1. Content Development/Copywriting
- Develops, writes, and edits content for print and digital communications, including the OVMA member magazine, brochures, board reports, annual report, and other materials. This also includes writing and editing services in support of other internal departments as needed.
- Writes and distributes the association’s weekly e-newsletter.
- Supports board members and leadership by crafting speaking notes and speeches for OVMA and Farley Foundation representatives.
- Assists with the maintenance of OVMA’s website, including updating content and graphics, and posting events.
2. Social Media Content
- Oversees OVMA’s social media platforms by engaging with the online community and creating and posting multimedia content. This includes developing a social media content calendar, scheduling posts, and identifying opportunities for further growth and engagement.
- Monitors and tracks engagement metrics to measure success of social media campaigns and optimize when needed.
- Provides general assistance and support to the Manager of Communications and Public Relations on all areas of the association’s communications initiatives, including the implementation of communications projects, management of the corporate brand, and the annual OVMA Awards Program, which recognizes excellence among members of the profession.
- Provides media relations support, including writing news releases, researching and drafting key messages, and responding to media inquiries.
- Assists with Farley Foundation events, public relations and social media activities.
- At least three years of experience in communications or public relations.
- Degree/diploma/certificate in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, work simultaneously on numerous tasks and meet deadlines.
- Experience managing social media platforms, including content development, strategy, best practices and managing issues as they arise.
- Proven capacity for initiative and creative thinking.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to lead projects to completion.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud and graphic design tools (e.g. Canva), and video creation/editing is a considerable asset.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Oct. 17, 2021. We thank all interested candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OVMA’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion and rejects discrimination or harassment based on grounds such as race, colour, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, age, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, marital status or disability. Every human being deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
The well-being of our society and our profession is vital. OVMA is committed to ongoing and active promotion and maintenance of diversity and inclusion in its membership, leadership and organization; to ensuring that its services are provided without bias; and to educating its members regarding the value of diversity and inclusion.
OVMA is committed to working with the Ontario Veterinary College to ensure that the principles of inclusivity and diversity are reflected in the equitable selection of students, and to make veterinary education more accessible for underrepresented and minority groups. OVMA is also committed to working with the College of Veterinarians of Ontario to ensure that the principles of inclusivity and diversity are reflected in the licensing and regulation of Ontario’s veterinarians.